Cheesy Broccoli & Rice Skillet Casserole with Chicken Sausage is prepared in a single pan and is ready to serve in about 30 minutes. One-pot meals like this are the best way to decrease the cleanup time while boosting the taste! All the incredibly savory flavors simmer together to create the ultimate comfort-food dish that the whole family will adore.
This recipe is Week 1 of our new “What’s For Dinner?” meal series, consisting of 10 weeks of delicious and fun meals for busy weeknights. Check back each week for inspiration to help you decide what’s for dinner!
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
How to: Make Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Skillet Casserole
This ultimate comfort meal will have your house smelling heavenly and be ready on the table in no time!
Some variation of chicken and rice was always around when I was growing up (it was one of the few things I actually ate!) and even now it makes me feel all warm and cozy inside.
To get started cooking, grab a large skillet or dutch oven. I prefer cast iron because of its high sides.
Slice the chicken sausage and cook for about 5 minutes or until brown. Chicken sausage is precooked so you do not have to worry about making sure the chicken is cooked. Once browned to your liking, remove from the pan.
Add olive oil to the pan and start cooking your veggies. Saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic cloves until soft and fragrant. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and thyme.
Mix in rice and toss until combined. Stir in a can of cream of chicken soup and chicken broth. Increase the temps and bring to a boil.
Set the broccoli on top of the mixture, cover with a lid, and reduce the heat to medium-low to a good simmer. Cook for roughly 20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
Stir well and don’t forget to top with cheddar cheese!
Make it a Meal!
- Easy Homemade Lemonade – I don’t know why it works – but it does! Perhaps it’s the nostalgia but lemonade gives me all the good feels too
- Raspberry White Wine Spritzer – If an alcoholic drink is what you desire, a simple white wine spritzer pairs well with any meal
- Maple Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts – For an extra serving of veggies serve up this maple roasted side
- Homemade Cornbread Without Cornmeal – Every Southern table needs a basket of bread as a starter, and this cornbread will surely get the job done
- Minty White Hot Chocolate – Half dessert and half drink, but a whole lot of sweetness to round out your meal
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies – These funfetti cookies are good all year long and are just the right amount of post-dinner sweetness
Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Skillet Casserole with Chicken Sausage
- 4 chicken sausage links sliced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 6 oz mushrooms sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 cup rice
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups broth
- 8 oz broccoli florets fresh or frozen
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown sausage pieces, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Add olive oil to the pan and sauté onion, mushrooms, and garlic cloves until tender. Mix in salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme. Add rice and toss to combine.
- Stir in cream of chicken soup and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Set broccoli on top of the mixture, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook undisturbed for 18-20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir well and top with cheddar cheese. Serve immediately.
This dish is so comforting and heartwarming to me. What are some of your most-desired comfort meals?