Light and refreshing, this Fresh Citrus Summer Salad will be the centerpiece or your next picnic or potluck. Topped with a honey drizzle and tangy goat cheese, this fruit salad combines a multitude of flavors to create a satisfyingly sweet salad.
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
Lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits…there isn’t a citrus I don’t love to indulge in to help cool me down on a hot summer day.
Whether they’re dunked in a cold pitcher of lemonade, squeezed over a sizzling plate of food, or eaten alone as a quick snack, you cannot go wrong with a burst of tart flavor properly placed throughout a meal.
This Fresh Citrus Summer Salad combines my love of tart fruit with my latest obsession of salads. Fruit salads don’t have to be bland bowls of plain apples, strawberries, cantaloupe, or the like.
Spruce up your summer fruit salad with blood oranges, creamy goat cheese, crunchy pistachios, and fresh mint to create this crowd-pleasing dish.
How to: Prepare the Citrus
What I love most about this salad is how incredible it is visually!
It’s a lot of effort to get these citrus cuts, and it’s practically a guarantee that one of these fruits will blast you with a good shot of sticky juice — so wear an apron!
Peel the blood oranges and remove as much of the pit as you can. Thinly slice each orange and set aside. For even sharper lines, trim the round edges of the fruit.
Next up is supreming the grapefruits! This can get tricky, but no fear.
Slice off the top and bottom of each fruit. Stand each one upright and cut off the peel and pith, following the curve of the fruit.
Cut along the membranes to remove each individual segment and set aside.
Reserve any excess juice while cutting the citrus to use in the dressing.
How to: assemble the citrus summer salad
On a large serving tray, set the base of the salad by alternating mango and grapefruit pieces and top with red onion.
A bowl can be used if preferred but a large tray allows you to see all of the fruit laid out beautifully.
Next, layer the blood orange slices and melon balls. Have fun arranging these items to create a fun layout and top with pistachios and goat cheese.
Using the reserved fruit juice, mix with honey until well combined.
Drizzle with honey dressing and garnish with mint leaves!
Fresh Citrus Summer Salad
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 white grapefruit
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 mango sliced thin
- 2 oz red onion sliced thin
- ½ honeydew melon scooped into balls
- 4 oz pistachios roughly chopped
- 2 oz goat cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup reserved fruit juice
- fresh mint, to garnish
- Peel the blood oranges and remove the pith. Thinly slice each orange and set aside. Reserve any excess juice.
- Supreme the grapefruits:Slice off the top and bottom of each fruit. Stand upright and cut off the peel and pith, following the curve of the fruit. Cut along the membranes to remove each segment and set aside. Reserve any excess juice and combine with reserved blood orange juice.
- On a large serving tray, set the base of the salad by alternating mango and grapefruit pieces and top with red onion.
- Top with pistachios and goat cheese. Next, layer the blood orange slices and melon balls.
- Using the reserved fruit juice, mix with honey until combined. Drizzle with honey dressing and garnish with mint leaves.
What are some of your favorite summer salads? Share in the comments below and be sure to find more salad inspiration from the latest edition of the Devil Wears Salad Gazette!