Break out the chips and salsa! Make a quick, easy Mexican meal at home with this delicious sheet pan chicken fajitas recipe. One pan and 20 minutes later, this will be all yours!
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas = Easy Mexican Food at Home
To me, Mexican food puts the comfort in comfort food. Our favorite local Mexican restaurant is within walking distance of our neighborhood and we have to fight the urge to stop by weekly.
One of my favorite meals to order is chicken fajitas. Moist and tender chicken, flavorful and crispy veggies, all displayed on a sizzling hot cast iron skillet.
The sizzle may not be a part of this recipe, but recreating chicken fajitas has never been easier. The hardest part is not devouring the food directly off of the sheet pan before it makes it to your plates.
How to: Prep the Sheet Pan
Use a large sheet pan that has high sides so you can easily toss and mix the vegetables.
My favorite sheet pan is this one linked above. It’s large enough to handle all the ingredients I want to use, extremely durable and super easy to clean.
For an even easier cleanup, line the pan with aluminum foil and spray with olive oil spray.
Read about my favorite olive oil mister and why you’ll want to add one to your Amazon cart!
How to : Prep the Vegetables
One of the amazing things about this recipe is that it’s jam-packed with vegetables. Feel free to add as many or as little as you’d like, but this is a great way to introduce yourself to a few new veggies and sneak in a few pieces of a vegetable you’re unfamiliar with.
Begin by slicing a variety of bell peppers into very thin strips. Try to keep the pieces around the same size to allow for even cooking.
Chop the jalapenos into medallions.
Slice the mushrooms.
Thinly slice a large onion.
Dice the garlic into small pieces.
Toss to combine and spread out evenly on the sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and top with red pepper flakes, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
how to: Prep the Chicken Breast
Using a sharp chef’s knife and your cutting board dedicated to raw meat, begin by trimming any fat from the edges.
This recipe works best when the chicken breast is sliced into thin pieces. Slice into thin pieces going against the grain (the white fibers running through it). Cutting against the grain makes your chicken more tender after cooking.
Drizzle with olive oil and season with cumin, cayenne pepper, and oregano. Rub the spices into the meat and toss for fuller coverage.
Add the chicken to the sheet pan.
How to: Cook Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Your sheet pan should be bursting with bright colors!
Heat your oven to 400 degrees. Place the sheet pan on the top rack and cook for 18-24 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
Chicken is done cooking after reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
If you do not have a meat thermometer I would highly recommend you purchasing one. A meat thermometer is essential for cooking chicken properly and ensuring it is cooked thoroughly without overdoing it.
I’ve been using this meat thermometer for years and would recommend it 10/10 times. It’s easy to use, easy to interpret, and is also very compact and tucks away nicely in your utility drawer.
Once the chicken reaches 165 degrees your meal is complete! Remove from the oven and try not to eat all of it right off the pan 😉
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 2 tbsp olive oil or olive oil spray
- 2-3 bell peppers sliced thinly
- 2 jalapenos sliced into medallions
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 2 chicken breasts sliced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray olive oil on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Toss peppers, jalapenos, mushrooms, onions, and garlic on the sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and add half of the cumin, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Drizzle chicken breast with olive oil and toss with oregano and the remaining cumin, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add to the sheet pan.
- Cook 18-24 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Customize, Customize, Customize
- Protein: Swap the chicken out for beef, pork, or shrimp. Slice the beef or pork thin for quicker cooking.
- Vegetables: Add any vegetables you have available in your fridge. Other great alternatives could be zucchini, carrots, or tomatoes.
- Seasoning: Cumin and ground peppers really provide great Mexican flavors. The spices for any cuisine could be substituted for a unique take on this meal.
- Curry powder and ginger for deep Thai curry flavors.
- Basil, oregano, parmesan, and tomatoes for an Italian flavoring.
- Teriyaki/soy sauce, sesame seeds, and ginger for a Japanese take.
Enjoy this comforting Mexican meal with tortillas, rice or guacamole! For quick rice, check out my Instant Pot Rice recipe.
What’s your favorite Mexican meal to make at home? Share below and they may be featured in the future!