Moroccan Chicken Couscous Bowl is my go-to meal to serve when looking for a light and healthy dish. Combining the best of Moroccan cuisine, the golden couscous, and the spice blend rub will transport you to the majestic Maghreb.
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
This recipe is Week 9 of our new “What’s For Dinner?” meal series, consisting of weeks of delicious and fun meals for busy weeknights. Check back each week for inspiration to help you decide what’s for dinner!
Make it a Meal!
I love a good salad for dinner. It can be satisfying on its own, or pair one with these delectable recipes!
- Raspberry Red Wine Spritzer – Make a quick guilt-free cocktail for dinner
- Sriracha Grilled Veggie Kabobs – No sides necessary but I eat these grilled kabobs as much as I can!
- Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies – Enjoy ginger two ways with the savory salad and these sweet cookies
How To: Make Moroccan Chicken Couscous Bowl
This Moroccan Chicken Couscous Bowl is such a nutritious meal that is actually filling and won’t leave you feeling hungry soon after.
First, start by preparing your own Moroccan spice blend. You can find a premade blend in the store but it’s so easy to make at home with 1tsp each of cumin, paprika, cayenne, ginger, nutmeg, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
Cover the chicken breasts with the spice blend and rub it in until coated. Add olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium. Once the oil is glistening, add the chicken to the pan and cook until done or the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
This takes about 5-7 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the chicken. Slice thin for even quicker cooking.
While the chicken is cooking you can prepare the couscous. Bring water to a boil and add the couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
Salt and stir in tomato sauce. Set aside.
Now let’s start building your salad! Layer romaine, tomatoes, red onion, and cucumber slices. Drizzle with olive oil or a vinaigrette. Top with couscous and sliced chicken, and serve with yogurt. Enjoy!
Moroccan Chicken Couscous Bowl
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp Moroccan spice blend (see below)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup golden couscous
- ⅔ cup broth or water
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 heads romaine lettuce chopped
- 6 oz grape tomatoes halved
- ½ cucumber chopped
- ¼ red onion sliced
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil or vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt optional
Moroccan Spice Blend
- 1 tsp each: cumin, paprika, cayenne, ginger, nutmeg, turmeric, salt, and pepper
- If mixing your own, prepare the Moroccan spice blend.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Rub the chicken breasts with the Moroccan spice blend until coated. Add the olive oil to the pan, followed by the chicken breasts. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 5-7 minutes per side. Set aside to cool.
- While the chicken is cooking, start the couscous. Bring the water or broth to a boil. Add the couscous and remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes and fluff. Mix in tomato sauce and set aside.
- In two salad bowls distribute the romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, red onion, and cucumber. Top with couscous and sliced chicken. Drizzle olive oil or an olive oil vinaigrette and serve with yogurt if desired.
What are some of your favorite salads for dinner? They can be surprisingly full and nourishing and are great meal options!