If you haven’t tasted a morning glory muffin yet, drop everything and make these right away! Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins are incredibly moist breakfast muffins packed with loads of flavor. An assortment of carrots, nuts, apples, and coconut create amazing texture in each muffin that’s incomparable!
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
What Makes a morning glory muffin?
Morning glory muffins were a product of the American 70s and were known to be filled with various vegetables, nuts, and grains.
Everyone’s recipe varies slightly, but generally you can expect to find any assortment of the following fillers: carrots, apples, zucchini, walnuts, raisins, and coconut.
I love a heart weekend breakfast consisting of an egg scramble and breakfast potatoes, but on workdays I craze a meal that’s satisfying and fuels me for my busy day. Lately, overnight oats have been on rotation but I discovered this recipe for healthy morning glory muffins that immediately got my attention!
I loved that there was so much substance in these muffins between the carrot, apple, walnut, and coconut. There’s also no refined sugar and all the sweetness comes from the honey and apple.
I continue to make these muffins regularly and tweak the recipe slightly each time, but I think I’ve found what really hits the spot for me! Easily make them with white flour or gluten
How to: Make Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins
Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a 12-count muffin pan with paper liners or heavily spray with cooking spray.
Start by shredding the apple and carrot using a grater. Set aside.
In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients: gluten free flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt
In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients: whisk eggs, honey, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until well incorporated
Add in the shredded apple, carrot, coconut, and walnuts and combine.
Pour the batter into the muffin tray. Any excess batter can be placed in a small oven-safe container and baked alongside it.
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean!
Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 ½ heaping cup gluten free flour (sub whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 dash of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple grated
- 1 large carrot peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a 12-count muffin pan with paper liners or heavily spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients: gluten free flour, cinnamon,baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients: whisk eggs, honey, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until well incorporated
- Add in the shredded apple, carrot, coconut, and walnuts and combine.
- Pour into the muffin tray. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 16-18 minutes
What are your favorite kinds of muffins to make at home? Do you have any special breakfast muffins that your family loves? Share below!