Chicken Tamale Pie with Masa is smothered in enchilada sauce, melted cheese and the comforting flavor of tamales without any of the hassle. Prep ahead of time and within 30 minutes you’ll have a hot and fresh meal that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
This recipe is Week 10 of our new “What’s For Dinner?” meal series, consisting of weeks of delicious and fun meals for busy weeknights. Check back each week for inspiration to help you decide what’s for dinner!
Make it a Meal!
Dinnertime is made easy with this make-ahead Chicken Tamale Pie with Masa! Serve alongside these recipes for a memorable family meal
- Cinnamon Apple Cider Cocktails – A cinnamon-infused drink that complements the savoriness of the dish
- Street Corn Salsa – A light and fresh side to enjoy with warm tortilla chips
- Mexican Sauteed Veggies – Add some vegetables to your meal that will blend flawlessly
- Mango Coconut Ice Cream Bars – Cool off with these refreshing iced treats!
- Fresh Peach and Oat Crumble – Cinnamon is the name of the game here with this roasted fruit crumble
How To: Make Chicken Tamale Pie with Masa
Only a little prep is needed at the beginning and then this dish is practically hands free. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Prepare the filling by heating a pan over medium heat. Stir in rotisserie chicken, broth, and ½ a cup of enchilada sauce. Mix well and simmer for at least 15 minutes. If the mixture is dry, add a little more enchilada sauce until the desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
While the filling is simmering, it’s time to make the dough. Using your hands, mix all of the ingredients for the dough until well combined. Other tools can be used but getting your hands dirty is best 🙂 The texture should be very thick but easy to mold. Divide into two equal portions.
If the dough is dry, add broth. If too wet, add more masa.
Oil a pie dish or a large baking dish. Evenly spread half of the dough in the dish ensuring the bottom is covered. Top with the chicken filling and mix in 1 cup of enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Monterey jack or pepper jack are my favorites for the added flavor.
Cover with the remaining dough. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and an additional sprinkling of cheese. Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Top with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and jalapenos. Serve right away and enjoy!
Chicken Tamale Pie with Masa
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 ½ cups enchilada sauce divided
- 1 cup shredded cheese monterey jack, pepper jack, cheddar
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 8 oz diced green chilies
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To prepare the filling, heat a pan to medium heat and add rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, and ½ a cup of enchilada sauce. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for dough until well combined. The texture should be very thick easy molded.
- Lightly spray a pie dish or 9×13 baking dish. Spread half of the dough into the dish to cover the bottom. Top with the chicken filling and spread evenly. Mix in ½ a cup of cheese and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce.
- Use the rest of the dough to cover the mixture and top with 1 cup of enchilada sauce and ½ a cup of cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Have you ever made homemade tamales? So much work but SO worth it. If you’re looking for an easy tamale-inspired recipe, this is it!
19 thoughts on “Chicken Tamale Pie with Masa”
that looks like a delicious recipe thank you for sharing! I am always looking for new recipes and that looks like a good one to try over the weekend!
This looks so good, I think it would go down really well with my son and possibly even my OH
This looks delicious!! Thank you very much for sharing, I hope to make this soon! <3
This caught my eye straight away and I’m instantly pinning it to make it myself asap! This looks and sounds absolutely delicious, I’ve never heard of it before but the ingredients sound right up my street so I’ll defiantly be giving this a go. Thank you so much for sharing with us lovely Xo
Elle – ellegracedeveson.com
This sounds like a great recipe! A simple to follow recipe. Thank you for sharing your blog post. Have a lovely Easter weekend!
It looks yummy. I have seen some other type of tamale. Pie tamale sounded interesting.
This sounds so delicious! I was just looking for some dinner inspiration for next week and this is exactly the kind of thing I was after so I’m going to give it a try! Thanks so much for the recipe 🙂
This looks really good. I can’t wait to make it for my family.
Absolutely delicious! The whole family liked this one.
Oh this looks so delicious and so much easier to make, than making tamales. I am adding this to my meal plan for next month!!
I love tamales but not all the work that goes into the traditional ones wrapped in corn husks. This recipe has all the flavor with half the fuss, I love it!
I bought some masa to make tamales and now I have so much leftover. I’ve been searching for a good recipe to use it up and now I have one. Delicious!
This is the kind of dish my family loves. The rotisserie chicken made this dish easy to pull together for a weeknight meal.
I love this easy twist on tamales.
it was the enchilada sauce and the melted cheese that hit home! thanks – so satisfying
You had me at Tamales!! Love this dish and so yummy! Cannot get enough of it, my family cannot get enough of it.
Thank you for sharing
This tamale was delicious and flavorful. Love it.
What’s not to love about melte cheese and a yummy tomato sauce.
wow what a flavourful pie!! my family was complaining why there was not enough!! I will make it again tomorrow!!