Chicken Tamale Pie with Masa is smothered in enchilada sauce, melted cheese and the comforting flavor of tamales without any of the hassle. Prep ahead of time and within 30 minutes you’ll have a hot and fresh meal that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
This recipe is Week 10 of our new “What’s For Dinner?” meal series, consisting of weeks of delicious and fun meals for busy weeknights. Check back each week for inspiration to help you decide what’s for dinner!
Make it a Meal!
Dinnertime is made easy with this make-ahead Chicken Tamale Pie with Masa! Serve alongside these recipes for a memorable family meal
- Cinnamon Apple Cider Cocktails – A cinnamon-infused drink that complements the savoriness of the dish
- Street Corn Salsa – A light and fresh side to enjoy with warm tortilla chips
- Mexican Sauteed Veggies – Add some vegetables to your meal that will blend flawlessly
- Mango Coconut Ice Cream Bars – Cool off with these refreshing iced treats!
- Fresh Peach and Oat Crumble – Cinnamon is the name of the game here with this roasted fruit crumble
How To: Make Chicken Tamale Pie with Masa
Only a little prep is needed at the beginning and then this dish is practically hands free. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Prepare the filling by heating a pan over medium heat. Stir in rotisserie chicken, broth, and ½ a cup of enchilada sauce. Mix well and simmer for at least 15 minutes. If the mixture is dry, add a little more enchilada sauce until the desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
While the filling is simmering, it’s time to make the dough. Using your hands, mix all of the ingredients for the dough until well combined. Other tools can be used but getting your hands dirty is best 🙂 The texture should be very thick but easy to mold. Divide into two equal portions.
If the dough is dry, add broth. If too wet, add more masa.
Oil a pie dish or a large baking dish. Evenly spread half of the dough in the dish ensuring the bottom is covered. Top with the chicken filling and mix in 1 cup of enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Monterey jack or pepper jack are my favorites for the added flavor.
Cover with the remaining dough. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and an additional sprinkling of cheese. Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Top with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and jalapenos. Serve right away and enjoy!
Chicken Tamale Pie with Masa
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 ½ cups enchilada sauce divided
- 1 cup shredded cheese monterey jack, pepper jack, cheddar
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 8 oz diced green chilies
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To prepare the filling, heat a pan to medium heat and add rotisserie chicken, chicken broth, and ½ a cup of enchilada sauce. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for dough until well combined. The texture should be very thick easy molded.
- Lightly spray a pie dish or 9×13 baking dish. Spread half of the dough into the dish to cover the bottom. Top with the chicken filling and spread evenly. Mix in ½ a cup of cheese and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce.
- Use the rest of the dough to cover the mixture and top with 1 cup of enchilada sauce and ½ a cup of cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Have you ever made homemade tamales? So much work but SO worth it. If you’re looking for an easy tamale-inspired recipe, this is it!