Melon Prosciutto Skewers are light, mouth-watering appetizers that were made for the summer. Inspired by Italian cuisine, the crispness of the sweet cantaloupe meets the saltiness of cured prosciutto to create a myriad of deliciousness in your mouth.
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
Make it a Meal!
These Melon Prosciutto Skewers are the perfect appetizer for a light and breezy summer meal. Pair with the below for a true escape!
- Instant Pot Sun Dried Tomato Pasta – An easy Italian pasta dish that is pure and simple
- The Absolute Best Chicken Marsala – Chicken Marsala is truly divine!
- Blueberry Ginger Ale Coolers – Cool off with a little mocktail fun!
- Raspberry Red Wine Spritzer – Wine cocktails that are as delicious as they are vibrant
- Healthy Banana Oat Bread – A wholesome accompaniment with just enough sweetness
- Dreamy Creamsicle Floats – Citrusy ice cream that’s airy and delightful
How To: Make Melon Prosciutto Skewers
It’s time for a brief history lesson to truly appreciate this recipe.
We have the Italians to thank for the incredible prosciutto and melon combination. In ancient times, the Romans often paired fruit with cured meats but it wasn’t until the Father of Italian cuisine, Pellegrino Artusi, spread the word on prosciutto e melone.
This salty and sweet pair has persisted through centuries and rightfully so!
- Step 1: Using cocktail picks, thread a piece of cantaloupe onto each pick.
- Step 2: Spread a small amount of ricotta cheese onto the melon. If you don’t mind a little mess, feel free to add more cheese.
- Step 3: Next add ½ slice of prosciutto to each skewer. Top with an additional piece of cantaloupe.
- Step 4: Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve with a balsamic glaze on the side for dipping.
Melon Prosciutto Skewers
- ½ cantaloupe cubed
- 8 oz prosciutto
- 4 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze or reduced balsamic vinegar
- Thread 1 piece of cantaloupe onto each skewer.
- Spread ricotta cheese onto each piece of melon. Next add ½ slice of prosciutto to the skewer.
- Top with an additional piece of melon and sprinkle with basil. Serve fresh with balsamic glaze.
Melon and prosciutto was an likely duo that I never saw coming. What are other peculiar food pairings that you just have to try to understand?