Melon Prosciutto Skewers are light, mouth-watering appetizers that were made for the summer. Inspired by Italian cuisine, the crispness of the sweet cantaloupe meets the saltiness of cured prosciutto to create a myriad of deliciousness in your mouth.
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
Make it a Meal!
These Melon Prosciutto Skewers are the perfect appetizer for a light and breezy summer meal. Pair with the below for a true escape!
- Instant Pot Sun Dried Tomato Pasta – An easy Italian pasta dish that is pure and simple
- The Absolute Best Chicken Marsala – Chicken Marsala is truly divine!
- Blueberry Ginger Ale Coolers – Cool off with a little mocktail fun!
- Raspberry Red Wine Spritzer – Wine cocktails that are as delicious as they are vibrant
- Healthy Banana Oat Bread – A wholesome accompaniment with just enough sweetness
- Dreamy Creamsicle Floats – Citrusy ice cream that’s airy and delightful
How To: Make Melon Prosciutto Skewers
It’s time for a brief history lesson to truly appreciate this recipe.
We have the Italians to thank for the incredible prosciutto and melon combination. In ancient times, the Romans often paired fruit with cured meats but it wasn’t until the Father of Italian cuisine, Pellegrino Artusi, spread the word on prosciutto e melone.
This salty and sweet pair has persisted through centuries and rightfully so!
- Step 1: Using cocktail picks, thread a piece of cantaloupe onto each pick.
- Step 2: Spread a small amount of ricotta cheese onto the melon. If you don’t mind a little mess, feel free to add more cheese.
- Step 3: Next add ½ slice of prosciutto to each skewer. Top with an additional piece of cantaloupe.
- Step 4: Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve with a balsamic glaze on the side for dipping.
Melon Prosciutto Skewers
- ½ cantaloupe cubed
- 8 oz prosciutto
- 4 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze or reduced balsamic vinegar
- Thread 1 piece of cantaloupe onto each skewer.
- Spread ricotta cheese onto each piece of melon. Next add ½ slice of prosciutto to the skewer.
- Top with an additional piece of melon and sprinkle with basil. Serve fresh with balsamic glaze.
Melon and prosciutto was an likely duo that I never saw coming. What are other peculiar food pairings that you just have to try to understand?
27 thoughts on “Melon Prosciutto Skewers”
These look SOOOO good and I know my whole family would love them! Thanks for sharing 🙂
I used to love eating prosciutto and remember how nice it was; the addition here of melon and ricotta would go so well together. This sounds delicious!
These look gorgeous! I would love to make these some night if we’re ever having a wee get-together.
These look delicious! And the instant pot sun-dried tomato pasta sounds like a great pairing!
These look gorgeous, perfect for Summer! x
Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk
Wow… mellow skewers. This is something new for me. Thank you for sharing.
These look super easy and they are a great appetizer for dinner parities!
Please look absolutely delicious.
Super easy and so refreshing!!
Love how easy the skewers are to whip up, they make a great “in a pinch” app!
These look perfect for offering to guests. I may try them.
Love this combo! Super easy and delish!
Those are so good. I love the ricotta in the middle, it adds a smooth flavor to it. Great recipe! Thank you.
The sweetness from the cantaloupe and the saltiness from the prosciutto complimented each other well. A delightful snack.
We have a celebration of life next weekend for my hubby’s father who was/is Italian. These will be a perfect addition to our appetizer spread!
I’ve always loved this Italian favourite. They strangely got so well together.
this looks absolutely delicious! Perfect finger food for summer parties!
I have had this before and it so delicious. But I haven’t even tried it on skewers, it looks like a fun way to plate the food. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
These look so good! Such a good way to enjoy summer fruit. And they look pretty easy to make. I will definitely be trying these soon!
Colleen | ChooseYourUni
These melon prosciutto skewers are perfect for Sunday brunch! Thanks so much for sharing!
I’ve never heard of these before but it instantly had my mouth watering and now I’m adding everything to my shopping list to make asap! I haven’t ever tried prosciutto before so I’m looking forward to. Thank you so much for sharing this unbelievably good sound appetiser with us lovely! Xo
Elle – ellegracedeveson.com
Made this a few times
And still impressed me
Made this a few times
And still impressed me
Yum! I love prosciutto so I will have to give these a try. I am very intrigued by the melon with it. Sounds amazing!
These sound ideal for summer, something light but yummy.
Thanks for sharing.
OMG you legit just uplifted the traditional melon prosciutto combo! Ricotta cheese? To die for!
The perfect sweet and salty combination for summer! I loved it with the dipping sauce.